Kevin Phillips Wins FL Award
The annual Football League Awards, now in their third year, were staged at the Hilton Hotel in Park Lane on Sunday night and the evening was a once again a huge success.
The main award winners on a night when 19 different trophies were handed out to individuals and clubs, were Jimmy Armfield for his contribution to The Football League, sponsored by Thomas Cook and Kevin Phillips, the FourFourTwo Player of the Year for Coca-Cola Championship.
Kevin Phillips on receiving his FourFourTwo Coca-Cola Championship Player of the Year Award at the Football League Awards 2008 at the London Hilton, Park Lane said:
"I collected the award for Jason Koumas last year as he was unable to attend the award's evening, but I never guessed that I would be here twelve months later picking it up for myself. Credit has to go to my team-mates, who have helped me score the goals - we are a team that creates a lot of chances and fortunately for me, I have been on the end of most of them."
As part of a gala dinner the FourFourTwo Top 50 Football League Players were announced on the night and diners also voted via SMS for the best goal scored in the calendar year of 2007 from a shortlist of five.
Commenting on the 2008 Football League Awards, The Football League Chairman, Lord Mawhinney, said: "For the third consecutive year, The Football League Awards has been an enormous success.
"Once again, it has given us the opportunity to recognise and reward the outstanding contributions made by fans, clubs and players to the continued growth and development of league football."
The Football League Awards show will be aired on Sky Sports 1 on Thursday 6th March at 8pm.
The full list of winners from The Football League Awards is as follows:
- EA SPORTS Fan of the Year
Paul Samrah - Brighton and Hove Albion
- Advance Performance Best Community Initiative - Coca-Cola League 2
Notts County - 'On The Ball'
- Advance Performance Best Community Initiative - Coca-Cola League 1
Brighton and Hove Albion - 'RSL Football Inclusion Project'
- Advance Performance Best Community Initiative - Coca-Cola Championship
Charlton Athletic - 'Kent Social Inclusion Programme'
- Perform Best Fan Marketing Campaign
Bradford City - 'The Cheapest Season Ticket In The Football League'
- ProgrammeMaster Best Matchday Programme
Bristol City - 'Well Red'
- Nivea for Men Young Apprentice Award - Coca-Cola League 2
Ryan Bennett - Grimsby Town
- Nivea for Men Young Apprentice Award - Coca-Cola League 1
Daniel Broadbent - Huddersfield Town
- Wickes Young Apprentice Award - Coca-Cola Championship
Mark Beevers - Sheffield Wednesday
- Sports Alliance Family Club of the Year - Coca-Cola League 2
- Sports Alliance Family Club of the Year - Coca-Cola League 1
- Sports Alliance Family Club of the Year - Coca-Cola Championship
- Wickes Community Club of the Year
- Mitre Goal of the Year (Voting technology provided by Perform)
Jermaine Beckford - Leeds United
-FourFourTwo Young Player of the Year**
Michael Kightly - Wolverhampton Wanderers
- FourFourTwo Player of the Year - Coca-Cola League 2*
Keith Andrews - Milton Keynes Dons
- FourFourTwo Player of the Year - Coca-Cola League 1*
Jermaine Beckford - Leeds United
- FourFourTwo Player of the Year - Coca-Cola Championship*
Kevin Phillips - West Bromwich Albion
- Thomas Cook Sport Contribution to League Football
*These awards will be presented to the highest ranked player in each division in FourFourTwo's Top 50 Football League Players
**This award will be presented to the highest ranked young Football League player in FourFourTwo's Top 50 Football League Players